Head of Department
Mr A Chan
Teachers of History
Mr E McHugh
Mr L Martin
Miss F Russell
We aim to provide students with a broad and varied history curriculum. All of the topic areas are designed to teach students a wide range of skills. Studying History will empower students to have knowledge of past peoples, societies and events, as well as encouraging the development of transferable skills such as hard work, discipline and good organisation. The study of history teaches students to be independent, critical learners and analytical thinkers.
We give students the opportunity to learn in ways which best fit with their learning style through a variety of teaching methods, which include student presentations and oral work.
Studying history will:
- Give students an understanding of the world around them.
- Show students how a study of the past can aid their understanding of the present.
- Develop students' literacy and numeracy skills.
- Give students an understanding about continuity and change.
- Help stimulate and challenge students' thinking skills.
- Enable students to express and communicate their ideas in a clear and articulate way, both orally and in writing.
- Teach students to be independent, critical thinkers.
- Involve students working with a variety of sources such as films, television, photographs, pictures, artefacts, diaries, letters, and other written sources.
- Be carried out in a comfortable, friendly and well resourced environment which celebrates success and achievement.
The History department has two dedicated classrooms with good ICT and whiteboard facilities. There is an outstanding range of teacher resources, including subscriptions to online sites and a variety of DVD programmes.